Project Assistant Jobs in Dar es salaam
Project context: QUALITAN: Quality standards and compliance programme for the United Republic of Tanzania (project ID 210097).
The EU supports Tanzania under the BEGIN Programme: ‘Support for Business Environment, Growth and Innovation’. The overall objective of the programme is to promote inclusive economic growth, employment and innovation, particularly among women and youth, and enhance consumer protection. Under component 2, the specific objective (SO2) is to increase Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises’ (MSMEs) compliance with quality standards to widen market access, reduce standards compliance costs, and enhance consumer protection. The QUALITAN project implements SO2 of the BEGIN programme.
The project intervention under SO2 will focus on strengthening the capacity of the Tanzania Bureau of Standards, including the functioning and reach of laboratories, standardization activities, ICT and management of information systems. Support will be provided to MSMEs to comply with standards. The action will facilitate MSME to access to compliance testing, reducing compliance costs whether in monetary terms or time delays, and facilitate market accessibility and cross-border trade.
Ultimately, the intervention will also contribute to a better synchronization of various elements of the Quality Infrastructure. This project intervention will act in synergy with BEGIN SO1 and SO3 to ensure inclusion of capacity support to develop new standards for innovative products, and recommendations for policy reviews.
Duty station: Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania. Travel as required.
Duration (tentative): May to October 2022 (with possibility of renewal).
Under the supervision of the National Project Coordinator (NPC) in Dar es Salaam and the Project Manager in Vienna, the Project Assistant will ensure the implementation and monitoring of all field activities under his/her responsibility and in collaboration with the other experts and consultants recruited under the project.
He/she will be responsible for the main tasks outlined below:
1. Provide assistance in the administration of the projects:
- Ensure the organization and logistics of training sessions, seminars and awareness sessions (invitations, logistics, attendance sheets, equipment and necessary documentation);
- Ensure the organization and logistics of the meetings necessary for the implementation of the project (bilateral, tripartite and committee meetings);
- Ensure the organization of field missions of project experts and UNIDO/EU staff on mission in Tanzania and abroad (security visas, vehicle reservation, hotel reservation, pick-up at the airport, etc.);
- Carry out and monitor, in close collaboration with the National Project Coordinator UNIDO headquarters and UNIDO Field Office in Tanzania, the procedures for the purchase of goods and services within the framework of the project;
- Inform staff and experts of UNIDO’s administrative and financial procedures (request for quotes, financial authorizations, mission orders, etc.) and provide the necessary support to experts for the performance of their missions;
- Maintain the list of contacts of project partners, beneficiaries, experts and counterparts;
- Maintain the list of suppliers and service providers (database, documents, payments, etc.);
- Write, send and follow up on all correspondence with project counterparties;
- Ensure filing of project correspondence with national partners;
- Ensure the proper functioning of office equipment and materials as well as its maintenance;
- Ensure that the project is supplied with office supplies and other materials for its operation and make the necessary trips in the town of Dar es Salaam.
2. Provide assistance in the financial administration of the projects:
- Perform financial procedures according to established procedures using UNIDO’s SAP software;
- Contact service providers for the proper implementation of the project (request for pro-forma invoice, follow-up of deliverables, follow-up of payments, etc.);
- Assist the project coordinator in the financial monitoring of project expenses at the local level and in the organization of the filing of supporting documents (physical and online filing on Open Text);
- Ensure the maintenance of files for the filing of reports and supporting documents for the project;
- Support in payment requests, preparation of purchase files and confirmations of receipt of products in SAP;
- Maintain purchasing records and inventory;
- Prepare periodic accounting reports and assist in the preparation of project expenditure estimates;
- Monitor the supply and disbursements of the office cash (petty cash);
- Follow up in coordination with the UNIDO Field office in Dar es Salaam for payments to suppliers and the VAT exemption procedure applicable to the United Nations;
- Any other activity, in line with the job description, requested by the National Project Coordinator.
- WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
- WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
- WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
- WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential –and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
- WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
- WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
- WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
Completed secondary education, such as high-school diploma, is required. Credit towards total working experience may be considered on a year-by-year basis, up to maximum of four years, for a first university degree or equivalent diploma, in a field relevant to the post.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency and/or working knowledge of another official UN language, is desirable.
Field of Expertise
- A minimum of eight (8) years of working experience in the field of administrative and financial support in projects managed according to the procedures of the United Nations system or NGOs, or other multilateral or bilateral entities is required.
- Experience in office procedures and practices, preferably within the UN system or in a multicultural environment, is desirable.
- Experience in project administration, accounting and finance, providing support to managerial/professional staff and using secretarial/administrative skills to assist in the execution of project development and implementation of work, is required.
- Experience and proficiency in using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), internet are required. Mastery of meeting tools/solutions/ online training (Zoom and others).
- Experience with SAP or similar ERP software is desirable.
- Good communication, writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to establish good relations with partners and to produce rapid and adequate responses.
- Familiarity with the values, rules and working procedures of Government, the UN and/or NGOs, or other multilateral or bilateral entities.
- Ability to work under pressure.
This appointment is limited to the specified project(s) only and does not carry any expectation of renewal.
Employees of UNIDO are expected at all times to uphold the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for jobs at UNIDO.
All applications must be submitted online through the Online Recruitment System Correspondence will be undertaken only with candidates who are being considered at an advanced phase of the selection process. Selected candidate(s) may be required to disclose to the Director General the nature and scope of financial and other personal interests and assets in respect of themselves, their spouses and dependants, under the procedures established by the Director General.
NOTE: The Director General retains the discretion to make an appointment to this post at a lower level.
Complete the personal history form and apply to this job now.
The deadline for submitting the application is 05 May 2022.
- Address Dar Es Salaam, Dar es salaam, Tanzania
- Salary Offers Negotiable USD Negotiable Month