Job title: Executive Chef
Rivertrees Country Inn is looking for a professional Executive Chef to be responsible for managing all kitchen operations and for delivering excellent dishes.
The successful candidate must be able to create new recipes, forecast, plan and manage kitchen staff and finance.
The executive chef will be primarily responsible for all food production including that consumed at our restaurant, banquet functions, weddings, events and conferences. Your key role will include developing menus, managing food costs, food purchase specifications and recipes, supervise and lead the kitchen staff, develop and monitor your budgets and maintain the highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
You will be responsible to manage our kitchen staff and to resolve kitchen issues swiftly. The executive chef attracts and retains staff, maintains a cooperative relationship with team members, optimizes staff productivity, and serves as a replacement in team members’ absence. You will train staff to use new recipes, cooking techniques and equipment, and oversee cooks performing food preparation. You will oversee the preparation special dishes, and supervise overall kitchen operations during service.
Gross Salary Range: USD 1,500 – 2,500
- Develop and plan menus for the restaurant and as/when requested to.
- Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct and within budgeted cost goals.
- Approves the requisition of products and other necessary food supplies.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Establish controls to minimize food and supply wastage.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
- Develops recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistent high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met.
- Attends food and beverage staff and management meetings.
- Consults with the Food and Beverage Manager about food production aspects of special events being planned.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Work with kitchen staff to ensure proper food presentation and proper food-handling procedures.
- Interacts with Food and Beverage Manager to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of guests.
- Evaluates products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met.
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology.
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Provides training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff.
- Periodically visits dining area when it is open to get guest feedback.
- Oversee the kitchen areas, supervise kitchen staff in accordance with the Hotel and Company Standard Operating Procedures established.
- Developing and enforcing departmental SOPs.
- Report any deficiencies in equipment and facilities.
- Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
- Establish targets, schedules, and procedures.
- Attendance and participation at weekly F&B meeting and Department Head meeting.
- Provide two-way communication and accountability environment with emphasis on motivation and teamwork.
- Comply with all health and safety regulations.
- Complete knowledge of Fire Procedures.
- Prepare and provide report to Food and Beverage Manager regarding productivity.
- Provide, develop, train, and maintain a professional work force.
- Ensure all services belonging to the kitchen department conducted in a highly professional and efficient manner.
- Ensure a safe working environment and attitude on the part of kitchen staff in areas of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as directed.
The ideal candidate for this position
- A strong communicator
- Highly motivated
- Able to work under pressure
- Guest-oriented and service-minded
- Ability to spot and resolve problems efficiently
- Up to date with food and beverages trends and best practices
Essential Skills, Qualifications And Experience
- Associate degree in culinary arts preferred.
- 3+ years’ proven experience as a head chef.
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs (MS Office)
- Significant experience as a chef in addition to experience as a sous chef or line cook.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to oversee and manage kitchen operations.
- Ability to remain productive when pulled in many different directions.
- Team management skills and Team player qualities.
- Ability to produce excellent high-quality food.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work unsupervised and deliver quality work.
- Adaptability to change and willingness to embrace new ideas and processes.
During Recruitment, Candidates May Be Asked To
The recruitment process can be very challenging and demanding and as such, we kindly ask that only serious candidates apply.
- Submit written and video responses to job specific questions,
- Fill in an Individual Profile sheet,
- Submit Academic and/or Professional References,
- Undergo a Logic Test,
- Undergo a Computer/Skills Test,
- Undergo a Myers-Briggs Type Personality Test,
- Attend one or two Interviews.
When and where appropriate we permit these steps to be taken online on condition that the candidate ensures a stable and reliable internet connection.
If you are interested in the position, please adhere to the following instructions carefully:
Submit your CV, in PDF format, by formal e-mail to: [email protected]
The subject line for your email shall be: “Executive Chef First Name SURNAME”
In the body of your email answer the following questions:
Question 1: What are the core functions of a Manager?
Question 2: What food cost-reducing methods have you found to be useful in Tanzania?
Question 3: How would you go about designing a new menu?
Also send through Whatsapp (+255 763 278 481) two short videos (max 2 min each) answering the following questions:
Video 1: What has been your greatest professional achievement?
Video 2: What has been your greatest professional mistake or failure?
Do not forget to mention your name in the message or the video.
Do NOT Include Any Other Attachments.
Rivertrees Country Inn will treat all information with the utmost confidentiality and we will only contact you if your application is to be taken to the next stage of the recruitment process.
The closing date for this application is6th June 2022
To apply for this job email your details to: [email protected]
- Address Arusha, Arusha, Tanzania
- Salary Offers USD 1,500 – 2,500 USD USD 1,500 – 2,500 Month