Are you dreaming to move into your next job in accounting?
Opposition for first-rate accounting applicants is intense; consequently it’s miles crucial to expectantly convey your motives for trying to move into a new role by using demonstrating that you have a career plan in vicinity.
Asking yourself a set of career questions can help you identify your reasons behind wanting to find a new job and can be a good starting point planning your career.
“With many accounting professionals looking to move jobs within the first three years of employment, you should aim to go above and beyond when demonstrating why you want to secure a new job” said Xolo Mkhize, Manager at Robert Walters.
“Ideally, having a clear career plan in place will help you express why you are taking the next step in your accounting career”.
What to consider before changing jobs:
- Are you getting what you need out of your current role?
- Have you decided on your short/medium/long term aspirations and the key steps you need to take to get there?
- What has driven you to these conclusions – are they realistic but ambitious?
- How do you intend to get there and what are your milestones?
Once you have established your reasons for wanted to move on in your career, the next step is to create a career plan to manage your aspirations effectively.
With many accounting professionals looking to move jobs within the first three years of employment, you should aim to go above and beyond when demonstrating why you want to secure a new job.
How to create a career plan:
- Talk about it with a mentor
- Build a relationship with a good consultancy
- Be realistic and talk openly about what you want
- Develop your profile – get involved in other areas of the business
- Identify your own strengths and weaknesses – Annual appraisal / CPD
- Have a positive attitude, believe in your abilities
- Regularly review opportunities – internal & external
- Be prepared to take a (managed) risk
Find out what you’re worth using the Robert Walters Salary Survey.
Or, find your next accounting and finance opportunity via our job search page.