Compliance and Internal Review Manager – ACHIEVE Tanzania project
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 50-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
ACHIEVE is a five-year, USAID-funded global cooperative agreement with the dual objectives of attaining and sustaining HIV epidemic control among at-risk and hard to reach pregnant and breastfeeding (PBF) women, infants, children, and youth, as well as to mitigate the impact of HIV/ AIDS and prevent HIV transmission among these populations; and supporting the transition of prime funding and implementation to capable local partners in order to meet the PEPFAR goal of 70% of funding to local partners.
ACHIEVE is funded by USAID in Tanzania to implement a four-year activity (October 2020 to April 2024) which aims: (1) to improve national- and community-level social welfare systems in order to sustain support for orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and families affected by HIV and (2) to strengthen the capacity of local organizations to deliver OVC services and (3) to deliver high-quality OVC services and DREAMS interventions for AGYW 9-14 years.
As a member of the Pact Tanzania/ACHIEVE Tanzania project team, the Compliance and Internal Review Manager – ACHIEVE Tanzania project will review the day-to-day operational compliance of activities of the ACHIEVE Tanzania project with the ACHIEVE Tanzania Project’s cooperative agreement requirements and Pact’s global and country-specific policies and procedures, donor rules and regulations, and host country laws. The individual will work hand in hand with the project technical and managerial team to identify gaps while activities are ongoing, analyze causes of gaps provide real-time recommendations to the Project Director on rectification of the gaps. The individual will work with the ACHIEVE Tanzania project management to build the capacity of both ACHIEVE Tanzania project and local implementing partner (LIP) staff in Tanzania.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise the Compliance and Internal Review Officer of the ACHIEVE Tanzania project on daily activities.
• Lead and develop a bi-weekly and monthly review plans and implementation of the same for the ACHIEVE Tanzania project.
• Lead and participate in planning and conducting real-time reviews of the ACHIEVE Tanzania project and LIPs; ensure all ongoing activities comply with donor rules and regulations and ACHIEVE Tanzania project Award requirements.
• Collaborate with the internal control team to prepare training and provide coaching to ACHIEVE Tanzania project staff and LIP staff on project policies and donor rules and regulations.
• Prepare written reports on findings, specific recommendations, and lessons learned
• Lead and conduct field visits to LIPs to review and support them on compliance matters of ongoing ACHIEVE Tanzania project activities
• Lead and conduct real-time project reviews of both project and LIPs operations, including, but not limited to procurement, accounts payable, travel expense reimbursement, and cash management
• Maintain open and regular communication with the ACHIEVE Global Director of Finance & Operations in Washington DC for compliance updates, learning of best practices, problem-solving options, and review of reports before finalizing them.
• Keep a regular liaison with the Senior Internal Control Manager on matters that require inclusion in high-level internal control reviews of organizational policies and practices
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Project Director, ACHIEVE Tanzania project
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field and Professional Accounting/Auditing Certification required. Higher Degree a plus.
• CPA/CIA certification with at least 4 years of post-qualification experience.
• Must be registered with the National Board of Accountants and Auditors as an Associate Certified Public Accountant (ACPA) / Associate Certified Public Accountant in Public Practice (ACPA-PP) or higher level.
• Minimum of 8 years of professional experience with 5 years of NGO Audit experience
• Experience working with an international non-profit/NGO
• A minimum of 3 years of experience in leading a team
• Experience in the financial management of US Government awards and/or sub-awards is a must, preferably USAID.
• Demonstrated experience with NGO accounting systems, in particular, IPSAS
• Preferred experience with working on US-funded projects with budgets over $10M per annum
• Demonstrated familiarity with 2 CFR 200
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to develop and implement trainings
• Fluent in English and Swahili
• Respect: Maintains a respectful workplace by always modeling respectful behavior, supporting diverse coworkers’ opinions and ideas, and offering and encouraging praise, and tactfully building consensus. Reports and responds to complaints of harassment, discrimination, and hostile work environment. Creates a climate of accountability and learning.
• Integrity: Earns others’ trust and respect by doing the right thing and by being honest, professional, accountable, and transparent as appropriate in all interactions. Upholds commitments while treating everyone appropriately. Decisions and actions reflect core values.
• Inclusion: Fosters enthusiasm and engenders mutual trust, honesty, and respect. Creates an open, cooperative, and productive environment by including diverse people and viewpoints and building interpersonal relationships. Listens actively, considers others’ concerns, and effectively adjusts own behavior as needed. Maintains productive work relationships and equity through awareness of social identities and providing a safe space for open discussion. Continually advances relevant knowledge and skills.
• Ability to develop and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with project colleagues – internally and externally
• Strong understanding of compliance and rules that contribute to the greater project’s performance.
• Consistently works within internal processes and procedures.
• Strong planning and time management skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make a presentation.
• Ability to problem-solve difficult issues.
• Ability to multitask with ease, adapting to frequently changing priorities.
• Good negotiating and conflict resolution skills
• Strong understanding of budgets
• Working knowledge and understanding of donor policies and regulations
• Competence in using common desktop applications and internal systems.
• Strong experience and interest in how technology and systems can support internal control effectiveness and efficiency
• Solid understanding and experience with internal control frameworks
• Strong analytical skills including the ability to spot, assess and address risk, materiality, and interdependencies and translate it into impact analysis for the financial reporting and recommendations for improvement.
• Strong communication skills presenting internal control and risk matters in an understandable way across various forums and levels of the organization with the right level of detail.
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including sound presentational skills
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and ability to work as part of a multi geographic team.
• Adaptable to working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
• Striving for continuous improvement and optimization
• Flexibility in resolving issues and addressing changing priorities
- Address Dar Es Salaam, Dar es salaam, Tanzania
- Salary Offers Negotiable USD Negotiable Month