Deputy Chief of Party – USAID/Tanzania Cross-Sectoral Youth Empowerment Activity
FHI 360 is a global development organization, with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our team of professionals includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment, and research. FHI 360 operates from over 60 offices with more than 4000 employees in the United States and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at all levels and our multi-disciplinary approach allows us to have a lasting impact on the people, communities, and countries we serve by improving the lives of millions.
FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an anticipated USAID-funded Cross-Sectoral Youth Empowerment Activity in Tanzania. The activity is expected to provide holistic and tailored integrated support to youth in Tanzania that increases their access to basic education, life skills, entrepreneurship skills, improve health outcomes and strengthen community engagement while ensuring interventions are youth-owned, youth-led and youth-managed.
The DCOP will oversee the project’s technical strategies and implementation team, including supervising technical staff focusing on education, civic engagement, health and youth employability. A key member of the senior management team, the DCOP will support the Chief of Party on the overall planning, implementing, and managing of the project and establishing the framework to monitor and guide progress toward achieving project goals and objectives. The DCOP will work closely with partners to harmonize activities across the project while coordinating with external stakeholders to ensure that activities complement other initiatives. At times serving as the Chief of Party, the DCOP will play a key role in supporting sub-awardees to deliver services on time, on budget, and with a high degree of quality.
The position will be resident based in Dar es Salaam. Employment is contingent upon successful award of the project to FHI 360, as well as USAID approval of the finalist.
- Provide technical direction for the design and implementation of project activities.
- Support the COP on the design, delivery, and progress against approved work plan and reporting against performance monitoring plan.
- Supervise and manage international and local partners for technical delivery of activities.
- Work with monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) Specialist, the technical team, and senior management and project staff to ensure that project learnings are applied, and project activities are adapted, as needed, for innovative and effective programming.
- Oversee international and local consultants responsible for technical support and implementation of activities.
- Learn and apply FHI 360 methodologies as appropriate; design and revise technical curricula to custom fit context of Tanzania.
- Promote sustainability of project activities through linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening of implementing partners and community-based organizations.
Required Qualifications :
- Master’s degree in public administration, international development, education, economics, health, or a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience of relevant management, supervisory, technical experience working with activities that are of a similar scope and scale.
- Experience working on programming related to youth, economic empowerment, livelihoods, health, education and/or community engagement programming.
- Knowledge and understanding of youth barriers and issues in Tanzania
- Strong experience implementing youth programming, ideally on Positive Youth Development approaches.
- Strong understanding of MEL activities and experience working with MEL counterparts to measure, learn from and adapt programming.
- Experience living and working in the region preferred; previous experience working in Tanzania highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and support diverse teams in challenging environments.
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-sectoral programming.
- Strong knowledge of, and commitment to, gender and social equity.
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational development, partnership-building, managerial, teambuilding and communication skills.
- Proven ability to develop relationships and coordinate with government officials, civil society, and non-governmental organizations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of United States Government rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as they relate to project compliance and reporting.
- Fluency in English.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and a package of exceptional benefits. Please visit the FHI 360 Career Center at https://www.fhi360.org/careers for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an employer with equal opportunity and affirmative action. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status in policies, programs, or activities.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
- Address Dar Es Salaam, Dar es salaam, Tanzania
- Salary Offers Negotiable USD Negotiable Month
- Ref. 2021202486