Driving Jobs in Zanzibar
UN Women, is a United Nations entity working for gender equality and the empowerment of women.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
United Nations in Tanzania is a One UN Pilot, implementing UN Reform through Delivering as One (DaO) with twenty UN agencies operating under One Programme – the UN Development Assistance Plan (UNDAP), UNDAP I (2011-2016) and UNDAP II (2016-2021). Through the UNDAP UN Women supports its partners in implementing and monitoring the international and regional agreements on women’s rights and developing capacity to integrate gender equality into national and regional development strategies, laws and policies. UN Women contributes to results in five of the ten UN Programme Working Groups with staff based in Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar, Dodoma and Singida.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Women Representative and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Reporting to the Programme Analyst, Zanzibar, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Zanzibar Sub-Office, consultants and experts and UN staff on mission. The Driver will provide basic administrative and clerical support to the UN Women Zanzibar Sub- Office.
Duties And Responsibilities
Provide reliable and secure driving services
- Drive office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel;
- Deliver and collect mail, documents and other items to Government – Offices/Embassies/Commercial Establishments/ UN Offices;
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport, including visa and customs formalities arrangements when required;
- Verify that all passengers wear seatbelts at all times in the vehicle;
- Ensure all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Adhere to relevant job specific guidelines and policies of UN Women such as but not limited to the vehicle management policy;
- Ensure vehicle comply with the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
Provide proper use of vehicle
- Ensure cost-saving by driving responsibly;
- Maintain daily vehicle logs, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil change, servicing, greasing, repairs;
- Provide inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
Provide day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensure that the official vehicle is kept clean and is always in good working condition;
- Make minor repairs and make arrangements for major repairs;
- Change oil, check tires, lights horn, clutch and brakes and wash car regularly;
- Ensure that vehicles comply with Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies
- Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Provide general administrative and logistic support as needed
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining required records;
- Assist in the mailing and distribution of publications and payments of bills, as required.
Key Performance Indicators
- Quality and timely driving services; safe and on-time;
- Quality care and maintenance of vehicle;
- Timely inputs to logs and records.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication.
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent driving skills;
- Good knowledge of driving rules and regulations, local roads and conditions;
- Good defensive driving skills;
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Ability to be on time.
Education And Certification
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required;
- Valid driver’s license is required.
At least 2 years of experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record
Fluency in English is required;
Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
Knowledge of protocol and security issues is an asset.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Address Dar Es Salaam, Dar es salaam, Tanzania
- Salary Offers Negotiable USD Negotiable Month