Government and Regulatory Affairs Manager, International
Job Category: Legal Compliance and Audit
Dar Es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, TZ
Who We Are
SBA Communications (SBA) is an industry leader in providing the wireless infrastructure that makes communication work, with a track record of growth throughout the Americas, South Africa and Southeast Asia. Our purpose is to enable the communications that are essential in connecting people. We are listed on NASDAQ under the symbol SBAC and our organization is part of the S&P 500. SBA is also one of the top 20 Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) based on market capitalization.
Government and Regulatory Affairs Manager, International
Our success stems from our collaborative environment, where differences are appreciated and our team members are considered our most valued asset. Together we uphold the highest moral and ethical standards, are excellent stewards of our financial resources, we prioritize quality and we do things right the first time. We innovate new, efficient and effective ways to do business, and we go the extra mile to provide excellent customer service to our clients and to each other. We enjoy each other’s company and we work hard to make those around us successful.
One of our values is to be People Focused, and as such, we are committed to our team members’ current and evolving needs through our global compensation and benefits programs. Our strategy is to provide programs and resources focused on four pillars of overall well-being: Physical, Emotional, Financial and Social. Additionally, we help our team members navigate their path towards financial security through our Global Stock Ownership and Employee Stock Purchase Programs.
Your Next Career Opportunity – Government & Regulatory Affairs Manager, International
The Manager of Government and Regulatory Affairs (“GRA Manager/employees”), will be responsible for planning and executing comprehensive, proactive government and regulatory affairs strategies that advance Minara’s business goals. In executing the strategy, he/she will engage with local, municipal, regional and national government authorities, regulatory agencies, industry associations and community groups in Tanzania. This position will have cross-functional responsibilities in the areas of public affairs, government relations, regulatory advocacy, and stakeholders management. The GRA Manager will be resident in the offices of Minara in Dar es Salam, Tanzania. He/she will report to Minara’s Legal Director, with a dotted line to SBA Communications Corporation’s Senior Director of Government and Regulatory Affairs (“GRA Senior Director.”). He/she will meet regularly with them, liaise with the Country Manager and other members of senior management, and provide periodic reports regarding the execution of his/her role and responsibilities.
What You Will Do – Primary Responsibilities
- Manage legislative and regulatory issues in Tanzania for Minara’s operations, particularly related to zoning and permitting requirements for tower construction and deployment.
- Create advocacy materials related to Minara’s development, construction and operation of passive infrastructure.
- Develop policy arguments and position papers on public policy, legislation and regulatory issues.
- Evaluate the political landscape associated with legislative and regulatory proposals and issues.
- Coordinate communication on key issues, outcomes and strategies related to legislation and regulatory activities.
- Identify public relations risks and opportunities and build and implement outreach and engagement strategies.
- Review and analyze regulators and legislator’s interests on the independent passive infrastructure industry.
- Provide responses to requests for information, analysis, site visits and operational information.
- Establish and nurture relations, including leading direct advocacy and education activities with legislators, local authorities, and regulators, their staff, and external stakeholders in support of permit granting, business operations and corporate interests.
- Represent Minara before external stakeholders, in coordination with the respective Country Manager and Legal Director, to ensure that permitting, business and corporate agendas, messages, initiatives, interests, and goals are met.
- Represent Minara, with support from the Country Manager, the Legal Director and other staff members, before the American Chamber of Commerce in
- Tanzania and other membership or industry organizations, as needed.
- Effectively build diverse external stakeholder relations and coalitions, in coordination with the respective Country Manager and Legal Counsel, including developing an effective relationship with the US Embassy and the US Commercial Office.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulations, standards, and best practices of the wireless passive infrastructure industry, including and inventory of such regulations in Tanzania, as well as those that are in the making before Congress or state and local authorities.
- Interact closely with the licensing and permitting departments in Tanzania, providing support in connection with the obtainment, maintenance and regularization of licenses and permits for specific sites of Minara’s portfolio.
- Assist, and interact with the licensing and permitting department, in the negotiation of settlement agreements and/or related agreements with the governmental authorities for the regularization of specific sites of Minara’s portfolio.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need – Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree graduate degree in Law, Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Communications, Business, Economics or related field;
- and 5-10 years experience in the legislative, public affairs, government affairs, broad issues management or communications arenas in which duties include policy analysis, advocacy and/or written and verbal communication with elected officials and staff. Telecommunications or technology sector expertise is a plus.
- and Demonstrated experience in the telecommunications, technology or digital sectors or any other highly regulated industry; as well as dealing with, designing and executing regulatory, legislative strategies and policies. Experience gathering documents, performing analyses, and drawing conclusions on legislative and regulatory policies.
- and Experience in dealing with highly sensitive, political inquires through coordination and extensive communications.
- Demonstrated knowledge and advanced proficiency working with Microsoft Office Suite software including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Outlook.
- International Travel 50% of the time Domestic Travel; Some international travel may be required.
- Valid Government Issued Driver’s License
- Valid Government Issued Passport
- Address Dar es salaam, Dar es salaam, Tanzania
- Salary Offers Negotiable USD Negotiable Month
- Ref. GOVER003606