Head Finance and Administration Division
Location: Tanzania, Tanzania
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
• Reports to: Registrar of the Court
• Directorate: Registry of the Court
• Number of Direct reports: 22
• Job grade: P5
• Contract type: Regular
Purpose of Job
The African Court was established by virtue of Article 1 of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the establishment of an African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights, adopted on 9 June 1998 and came into force on 25 January 2004. It is the first continental judicial body charged with the responsibility of ensuring the protection of human and peoples’ rights. The Court became operational in 2006 and its seat is in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania.
Ensure the development and implementation of financial, accounting, budgetary and administrative management policies, strategies, procedures and optimize the use of human resources of the Court.
Under the overall supervision of the President of the Court, and under the direct supervision of the Registrar, the Head, Finance and Administration Division will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
a. Develop management policies, strategies and procedures, monitor their implementation, review their relevance and take appropriate measures to optimize management of resources of the Court.
b. Coordinate and supervise the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the budget of the Court.
c. Coordinate and supervise all accounting transactions, the periodic production of management accounts and financial statements, activity reports and programme management reports.
d. Promote best management systems and practices, develop internal controls, as well as ensure transparency and the obligation to justify expenditure.
e. Ensure the proper application of the Financial Rules and Regulations, Staff Regulations and Rules of the African Union and policies and procedures of management established by the Court.
f. Oversee the timely payment of salaries, allowances, entitlements to members and Staff of the Court, payments to suppliers and other service providers, leveraging suitable technology and simplifying accounting processes.
g. Liaise and consult with oversight bodies (the Board of External Auditors, African Union Commission and the Court’s Offices of Internal Audit Services), ensure implementation of their recommendations as appropriate through recommendations for changes in policy and/or work procedures.
h. Ensure and guarantee the optimal management of human resources of the Court, among others, organize efficient actions of recruitment, training, annual performance evaluation and administrative staff, in order to have continuously competent and motivated staff.
i. Coordinate and oversee the management of procurement, stores, travel and transport services of the Court in accordance with AU procedures, financial rules and regulations.
j. Oversee and coordinate the activities of administrative services in order to provide required services to the Court.
k. Oversee the delivery of the required IT services to the Court.
l. Coordinate and direct the day-to-day work and activities of the entire Division.
m. Perform any other duties as required.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
Applicants must have:
- University Master’s degree in Accounting or in Finance or in Management or in related fields.
- A relevant qualification in Human Resource Management or in Administration or in related fields, or a relevant professional qualification in Finance or in Accounting will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of ten (10) years relevant professional experience in a similar position, preferably in an international organization
- Having experience in public relations, procurement and transport issues will be an added advantage.
Required skills and knowledge
- Leadership and management skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Negotiation, interpersonal, analytical and reporting skills
- Ability to work effectively with people from various background, capacity to motivate teams, to develop others and ability to work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Computer literacy (including good knowledge of ERP-SAP and/or SAP S4 Hana).
- Proficiency in one of the AU Official working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish). Good knowledge of at least one other language above-mentioned will be an added advantage.
Communicating with impact
Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
Drive for Results
Innovation and taking initiative
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$50,746.00 per annum (grade P5 step 1) plus other related entitlements e.g. post adjustment (42% of basic salary), housing allowance (1,860.00 US$ per month), education allowance (100% of school fees up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum to a maximum of four children aged 21 years maximum), spouse allowance (5% of the basic salary), child allowance (US$250 per annum per child up to four children aged 21 years maximum), etc in accordance with the Rules and Regulations governing International Civil Servants of the African Union.
Applications must be made not later than January 10, 2022.
- Address Dar Es Salaam, Dar es salaam, Tanzania
- Salary Offers Negotiable TZS Negotiable Month
- Ref. 941