Program Manager Landscape Restoration Jobs in Arusha
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Employment type: Full time
Justdiggit (www.justdiggit.org) is a fast-growing non-profit organisation working on landscape restoration in Africa. We are looking for an experienced program manager to lead our efforts in Tanzania.
Justdiggit helps farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa to restore degraded landscapes using rainwater harvesting, agroforestry and climate resilient agriculture. While our main programs are in Kenya and Tanzania, we are also active in Togo, Ethiopia and Madagascar. Furthermore, we have awareness campaigns throughout Europe and Africa.
What we do in Tanzania
In Tanzania we are working with and through local partners in Dodoma, Singida and Arusha region. Our primary partner is Dodoma based LEAD Foundation with whom we have a large program in Central Tanzania focusing on Farmer Managed Natural Regeneration. We are already working in close to 400 villages, and have the mutual ambition to expand this to a 1,000 villages by 2030 and make this an exemplary program in the field of ecosystem restoration. We have recently started a project in Northern Tanzania (Monduli district, Arusha region) and are expecting to expand with current and new partners and start more projects in 2022.
In all projects we are aiming to be as innovative as possible with a distinct emphasis on communication to complement more traditional program approaches. This ranges from the use of video tours, SMS-services, billboards and radio programming to the use of digital technology such as smartphone and smart feature phone applications.
As an important element of the latter, we are developing a “Regreen app” which unlocks the knowledge of regreening to all farmers in Tanzania with an internet connected phone. A large part of this development, especially the testing of different iterations of this app, will start to take place in 2022.
How we work
We believe in the power of diverse teams comprising of people with different specialties. We call this Landscape teams (in the case of our regreening programs) or Working groups (in the case of special overarching projects). A Landscape team is headed by a Landscape Manager and typically consists of a person for technical & quality aspects, finance, communications, technology, monitoring & evaluation and business development. These persons work in multiple landscape teams throughout the Justdiggit organization. For Tanzania we currently have one landscape team (Landscape team Tanzania) working both on our central and northern Tanzania projects.
As an African-European organization, our staff is based in multiple countries but our main hubs are the Amsterdam office and the Regional Office East Africa (ROEA) in Nairobi. This means that a landscape team works across continents and a lot of the communication is done remote.
- Oversee and manage all Justdiggit projects in Tanzania in the role of Landscape Manager Tanzania, being responsible for the ultimate impact of these projects. This comprises of but is not limited to all the general aspects of program management, such as:
o Stakeholder management outside and inside the organization;
o Build and maintain partnerships and good relationships with all our partners in Tanzania;
o Leadership of the Landscape Team Tanzania;
o Project development and design in close cooperation with our partners;
o Contracting partners and performing due diligence;
o Working with partners to ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget;
o Narrative and financial reporting to our donors;
o Working with business development to develop new propositions and attract new funders.
- Execute on and refine our 2030 vision for Central Tanzania with our partner, LEAD Foundation;
- Co-create and execute on a 2030 vision for Northern Tanzania together with local partners;
- Be a key player in the Working Group “Moving Beyond Programs”, which aims to develop the Regreen App (approximately 30% of your time). Here you will work closely with the Project Manager Moving Beyond Programs;
Your main duty station will be Arusha, in which you will be the first Justdiggit employee. You will travel frequently to project sites and partners in our program areas and will work from our Regional Office East Africa (in Nairobi, Kenya) approximately 1 week per 6 week period.
Required experience and skills
- 10 years of work experience, of which >5 years as a program manager in landscape restoration, soil- and water conservation or agro-forestry projects in developing countries and preferably Tanzania
- MSc. in agroforestry, earth sciences, ecology, environmental sciences, international development or related field;
- Experience in working with and leading international teams;
- Experience and interest in working with community awareness programs and rural communication tools;
- Have a strong affinity with tech related developments and especially mobile technology;
- Independent and proactive, able to create something out of nothing and willing to take up the smaller and bigger responsibilities. As our first Arusha- and Tanzania-based employee you are required to do a lot of pioneering work;
- Easy to work with and culturally sensitive: you will work across continents and time zones with farmers, partner organizations and Justdiggit staff from all over the world;
- Fluent in Kiswahili and English;
- Our preference is a Tanzanian national but we are open for applicants with other backgrounds.
- Be part of a great mission: regreen our planet!
- As part of a fast-growing organization, there will be ample room for personal and professional development.
- Great colleagues and a diverse team.
How to apply
If you believe you are the right person for this role, please send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com before March 1st 2022.
- Address Dar Es Salaam, Dar es salaam, Tanzania
- Salary Offers Negotiable TZS Negotiable Month