The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a public research institution established by Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 and became operational in 1980. NIMR Mwanza centre is one of the major NIMR research Centers of NIMR located in Mwanza city. The Centre conducts research on schistosomiasis and other neglected tropical diseases, HIV/AIDS,
Tuberculosis, malaria, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) as well as other diseases of public health importance. NIMR Mwanza centre have received funding from the European Union (EU) to implement a research project titled “PREPARE4VBD-A cross-disciplinary alliance to identify, predict and prepare for emerging vector-borne diseases”. NIMR Mwanza Centre is therefore looking for the qualified, experienced and well-motivated personnel to fill the
following vacant positions whose duty station will be at NIMR Mwanza Centre.
JOB POSITION: PhD Student
The PhD student will assist the project principal investigator in overall coordination and supervision of field and laboratory activities and eventually use part of the data collected by the project to write a PhD thesis. He/she will be required to register in one of the local Universities in Tanzania.
The PhD student will report and work under the project principal investigator and the project coordinator.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prepare data collection tools and software;
2. Plan and supervise implementation of field and laboratory activities
3. Train and supervise field teams during field data collection
4. Perform data management, analysis and reporting;
5. Prepare project progress reports and publications
6. Contribute to community engagement, mobilization and sensitization
7. To perform any other relevant duties that may be assigned by the supervisors.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. A good bachelors degree in biology/zoology/veterinary medicine or related qualifications.
2. A good masters degree in the same field of study
3. At least 3 years of research experience in the same field of study;
4. Research experience in vector borne diseases, climate change and modeling will be an added advantage;
5. At least 3 publications in peer reviewed journals;
MODE OF APPLICATION:
All applications should be enclosed with certified copies of relevant certificates, detailed curriculum vitae and names of at least two reliable referees.
Applicants are required to submit their applications not later than two weeks after the first appearance of this advert.
Applicants are also reminded to indicate reliable day time contact information.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please submit your application to:
THE CENTRE DIRECTOR,
NIMR MWANZA CENTRE,
P. O. BOX 1462,
- Address Mwanza, Mwanza, Tanzania
- Salary Offers Negotiable TZS Negotiable Month