More specifically, the study will seek to answer the following questions:
- What are the current gender equality strategies and tools used by development organisations for addressing Power & Agency and Economic Empowerment for women?
- Which strategies and tools that have been proved to be effective and efficient in addressing gender social norms and attitude in organisations, communities, and households.
- Are their significant outcomes (expected, unexpected, positive, or negative) in the partner organisations using FRAS+ in pilot phase?
- How useful was the FRAS+ tool in addressing women’s access to organisational resources, contribution towards gender equality and integration of a gender perspective in partner organizations operations?
- What have been the Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threat for partner organisations working with FRAS+ compared to those who are not? What can be done to address any emerging challenges?
- Would the study recommend use of a different gender equality strategy or modification of FRAS+ for increase efficiency and effectiveness?
- What would be recommendations for measuring gender equality outcomes in power/agency and economic empowerment for women (mainly qualitative indicators)?
Methods and Approach
The study shall be conducted through a consultative process and with input from key stakeholders, as well as a review of relevant documents and studies. The hired firm shall collect all available background information and data as may be applicable. This includes, but is not limited to documents, studies and discussion papers on the conceptof addressing gender equality in projects through fair resource allocation. The firm of consultants shall conduct direct interviews with members of partner organisation (those participating in the pilot phase and those that are not)) and consultations with partners (FRAS+ pilot partners and sample those who are not) and other key stakeholders working in the areas of gender and women empowerment in any or all the four countries (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda).
Methodology of the study
· We request a detailed methodology with a clear elaboration on the method to be used in the application submitted to conduct this study. Please note that Vi Agroforestry staff in the countries can assist with data collection.
· The interviewees shall include our country managers, gender focal staff (regional, country office and partners), Finance staff (regional, country and partners), representatives from partners organisations (those in the pilot phase and those not implementing FRAS+), project beneficiaries and M & E staff (regional and in countries).
· An inception report will be prepared by the consultant based on and in line with this term of reference and it will be reviewed and agreed upon by Vi Agroforestry.
· The inception report must include a work plan for the study detailing methodological aspects and timeframe for conducting the interviews. It’s the responsibility of the consultant to book meetings for the interview through direct communication with the interviewees. A list will be provided by Vi Agroforestry.
· Before writing the final report, the consultant will organize a workshop for the feedback and validation of the conclusions and recommendations with the participants from the interviewees. This feedback will serve to validate the information, the analysis and the feasibility/utility of the recommendations made.
The specific deliverables of the assignment include but not limited to the following:
• A detailed Work plan, in which proposed methodologies and study tools are incorporated, which have to be validated by Vi Agroforestry.
• Inception report to be submitted within 5 days of signing contract detailing the consultant’s approach to the study, providing a detailed work-plan and detailed methodology and how the assignment will undertake.
• Draft report showing the key findings on the study.
• Report from consultations; highlighting key discussions with KII and FGDs and recommendations.
• Final report of the study should include an executive summary of a maximum of one page. The main report must include a chapter of conclusions and another of recommendations
Duration of the assignment
The duration for the works specified under this Terms of Reference (TORs) shall be for two (2) months from the signing of the contract without extension.
Required Knowledge and Skills
• A Master’s or PhD degree in gender studies, social science or another field relevant for the consultancy.
• Experience from on research on gender and development.
• Extensive experience in research and writing on gender with an emphasis on climate change, natural resource management and agriculture or agroforestry.
• Priority will be given to those applicants with demonstrated evidence of past work on the topic/ issues.
• Experience in transdisciplinary work on gender, human rights, economy, climate change and poverty issues.
• Field experience is an asset.
• Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required.
• Curriculum vitae (CV) of the consultant should be provided. The CV should include details on engagements carried out by the consultant or member of the consultancy team, including ongoing assignments indicating responsibilities assumed, qualifications and experience in undertaking similar assessments or studies
Term of validity of the consultancy and method of payment
The consultancy is expected to have a maximum duration of two months – 15 business days from the signing of the contract. Only one payment will be made after submission of the final report and approval of Vi Agroforestry of the report.
Ownership and confidentiality
Vi Agroforestry is the sole owner of the results of the evaluation and all other information produced as a result of the evaluation. The result of the evaluation can be used after previous authorization from Vi Agroforestry.
How to apply
The submitted offer shall include:
· Cover letter
· Resume of the responsible Consultant/team with updated references and references of similar assignments.
· Technical and financial Offer
· Offers shall be sent to the following electronic mail: [email protected]
- Address Dar Es Salaam, Dar es salaam, Tanzania
- Salary Offers Negotiable USD Negotiable Month